Saturday, November 10, 2007

Jaywalking in Japan

So I'm beginning to get tired of waiting to cross the street. No one here jaywalks, no matter where they are or how little traffic there is. This has led to a couple funny situations, where I approach a crosswalk with a red light at a minor side street. There is no traffic to be seen for blocks and blocks, and the street is barely one car wide, but no matter. There is a dutiful line of Japanese patiently waiting for the light to change. This wouldn't be so bad, but it is really cutting into my sightseeing time. I seriously spend more time waiting to cross streets than I do actually viewing sights.

If it is even possible, the taxi drivers in Osaka are even more formal than in Kyoto. They all wear black suits with bowties, and the interior and exterior of the cabs are spotlessly clean. The most disconcerting part is that the driver can automatically open the door for you, and I keep forgetting, so it startles me.

No comments: