Sunday, November 23, 2008

Come On You Spurs!

I happen to be a fan of Tottenham Hotspur F.C., a Premiership football club in North London, famous for their loyal fans and Wrigley Field-like stadium, White Hart Lane. It turns out that our visit was timed perfectly for me to attend a home game today against the Blackburn Rovers--but only if (a) I could scrounge a ticket and (b) find a way to cart my tuckus out to the Lane. Well, thanks to the generosity of Suzie's neighbors up the road, success on both fronts! The weather this morning was typical London: cold with intermittent showers. But during both halves of the match, the weather cleared and the sun peeked out.


Since I knew I'd be outside in the cold, I took the opportunity to get myself kitted-up in the Spur's giftshop. I found myself a proper Tottenham scarf and knit cap, both of which I wore with pride whilst chanting along with the other Spurs faithful. At halftime, I fortified myself with a Cornish pasty (lamb mincemeat, potatoes, carrots and other mysterious and unknowable delicious bits) and a hot chocolate. Despite the brief but torrential rainshower at the half, the Spurs held on to win it one-nil. C.O.Y.S.!

No comments: