Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Hej, Prue and Mick!

Today I was reunited with Prue and Mick--Thor and Greta's parents. Last time I saw them was 1978. They lived in the same apartment building as my family when my dad was on sabbatical to Stockholm, Sweden. Even though it had been 30 years, we still hit it off as if it was only yesterday. It was really a treat to see them again, and we had a great time visiting over lunch.



Prue and Mick live in a lovely area of Melbourne very close to Melbourne University--a neighborhood very similar in many respects to Clintonville in Columbus. They have a great arts & crafts/Victorian brick home, with an amazing garden. My mom and Prue were very close during our time in Sweden, and I must admit, Prue is so very similar in many respects to my mom that it is almost uncanny. Both Prue and my mom look very similar, they both love gardening and are both excellent cooks. Speaking of lunch...we had a fantastic lunch in Prue's garden, consisting of poached trout with spicy plum sauce, potato salad and fresh green beans, followed by fresh mango and ice cream. Needless to say, I loved it. The weather was absolutely perfect too--the prior day's 102 degrees was long gone, and it was a balmy 75 degrees or so.

We visited for several hours, catching up on news about our respective families. After having a cuppa tea, and promising to return again soon to really explore Melbourne, Mick drove me back to my hotel so that I could rendezvous with Greta.

Thanks again, Prue and Mick, for such a great lunch!

No comments: