Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Kaikoura


I arrived in Kaikoura last night, which is 2 hours or so up the coast from Christchurch, on the South Island. The drive was wonderfully twisty and scenic, with mountains, sheep, vineyards, sheep, lush hedgerows, sheep, craggy coastline and sheep. This driving on the left thing is fun, and I'm getting the hang of it, but the highways here are only one lane in each direction, with no divider. This is a problem because subconsciously I'm programmed to NOT see oncoming cars on the right, and there were a couple times when suddenly an oncoming car came 'round the bend, and I really felt the impulse to swerve. Instinct really, since my whole driving experience shouts "danger close!" when I see a car on what I think is the wrong side.
Anyway, don't panic. It just keeps me more alert--I'm driving with the heightened awareness of a new driver, and very cautious. Needless to say I'm driving like the little old lady from Pasadena.

Kaikoura is a tiny beach town, pretty much only on the map due to the incredible whale-watching off the coast here. Apparently, the seabed drops 3,500+ feet only a 1/3 mile off the beach, so there is an abundance of sealife, which attracts whales en masse due to the plentiful food supply. I'm hoping to go whale watching this morning, so long as the seas cooperate.

1 comment:

m/d said...

Hi - Great stories. We're all reading them daily and sometimes multiple times, just not writing back. Glad all is going swimmingly. Have fun and keep enjoying the experiences.