Saturday, December 22, 2007

Rested and Ready. But Not Tan.

I woke up this morning after a great night's sleep--the time difference is such (18 hours ahead of New York) that I'm actually not too jet-lagged. That also may have to do with the fact that my flight was so long. It is a beautiful day in Auckland, 70 degrees and sunny. The hotel is on Lighter Quay, right on the harbor. Here's the view from my room. This area has been recently redeveloped, in part due to the America's Cup competition.

I went downstairs and found a little cafe, where I ordered poached eggs, smoked salmon and toast, along with a "flat white" (similar to a latte). The salmon was thickly cut and fantastic--richer flavor and texture and a far cry from the usual farm-raised stuff I see in abundance in New York. And at NZD $18, including a tip, brekkie was a deal!

It is noon now, so I'm off to explore Auckland for the remainder of the day. If I take leave of my senses and sign-on for one of the "adventure" activities here in town (bungee jumping, abseiling, leaping off the Auckland Skytower, being eaten by a shark, etc.), I'll be sure to make a full report here.

No comments: