Monday, December 24, 2007

With a Name Like Christchurch, It Must Be Christmas

When I arrived in my hotel room this evening, I could hear singing coming from the park behind the hotel. Not just any singing, mind you, but full-on Christmas carols with high production values. After dinner I went out to see for myself.

Basically, all of Christchurch was out on a balmy (then suddenly chilly, once the Southerly came through) evening, sitting in the park and singing christmas carols along with a choir and band. Everyone had candles and tapers lit, and it was quite beautiful.

I was curious, so I figured I'd ask a local about the evening's event. I spotted a group who clearly had done this before, as they had lawn chairs, their own candle holders (with dixie cup windscreens), wine and a blanket (with a history, I'm told). Anyway, turns out they were incredibly welcoming, and immediately asked me to join them and sing along (luckily, the caroling ended shortly thereafter). Short story long: upon learning that I was a New Yorker in town for only a night, Susan (on the left) invited me to their Christmas brunch tomorrow morning. Being a shameless New Yorker, I readily accepted.

Despite the language barrier, I'm really beginning to like New Zealand.

1 comment:

m/d said...

Hi El - not sure what was funnier this morning when I opened your blog -- reading your absolutely hilarious descriptions or listening to D laughing hysterically when he got around to reading them. Glad you made it safely to the hotel. Hope you are continuing to have a great experience! love, me