Sunday, December 30, 2007

Potaroos, Goats and Yachts...Oh My


I've arrived at my old friend Thor's home in Hobart, Tasmania. He and his family are putting me up for a couple nights over the New Year's Eve holiday--very gracious of them to have me during the holidays. They have a beautiful 5 acre spot just outside Hobart in the suburb of Kingston. They have a managerie of animals, including Thor's lawn-mowing brigade of six goats (two of whom are extremely friendly--don't wear loose shorts around those two), a single sheep (who thinks he's a goat), two bush turkeys, a half dozen or so skittish Rhode Island Red chickens, Honey the Guinea Pig and my good friend Oscar, their very friendly cat.

While checking on the animals at dusk, we got a visit from two Wallabys, which are like small Kangaroos. Also tramping around the house were a few Potaroos, and I could hear a Kukaburra calling from the trees. All together, a very lovely place to live.


Today Thor and I went down to the Hobart waterfront, where racing yachts which have just finished the Sydney to Hobart Blue Water Classic regatta are docked. While enjoying a cold beer out of the heat, a cannon was fired, indicating that a yacht had just arrived and completed the race. Here's a photo of it--note the crew in the rigging. The race stared in Sydney on the 26th, and most of the top boats finished in two days. It is now the 31st and a few entrants are still trickling in.

I'll post more pictures shortly, including one of the two goats who molested me.

No comments: