Thursday, December 27, 2007

Wellington

It was a beautiful day in Wellington today. Very windy, but sunny and 75 degrees. In addition to the spectacular weather I've had most of my trip, the other great part is that it stays light forever--it is 9:30pm right now, and the sky is just now dark. When I was in Christchurch (less than 200 miles south of Wellington), it was light--and I mean readably light--until almost 9:45pm.

I went to Te Papa, the national New Zealand museum--sort of like their version of the Smithsonian. It is one large facility, and sort of resembles a MoMA, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, COSI and Children's Museum all rolled up in one. I spent most of my time in the Maori exhibits and the art wing. There was an enormous exhibit about the sheep industry and its contribution to the overall growth and development of the nation. Did I mention that there are a lot of sheep here? I must've passed a few thousand during my 200 mile drive on the South Island. Unfortunately, I never took pictures, because I was trying to keep myself alive while careening down the right (actually left, but I mean correct) side of what passes for a superhighway here (but is really a two lane country road). Anyway, I didn't take any pictures, but it pretty much looked like this:


Anyway, if I pass any more herds, I'll try to get a picture for posterity. But I digress.

Wellington is built on the hills and mountains surrounding an enormous inlet from the sea, which serves as the city's harbor. The city resembles San Francisco in these respects, and even has some very similar residential neighborhoods full of Victorian architecture. Additionally, Wellington also shares quirky weather with San Francisco, most notably very strong winds.


After the museum I headed to the Wellington Cable Car, which is actually a funicular. Oddly enough, given the number (and size) of the hills comprising the Wellington area, I was surprised to learn that there is only one funicular. The other neighborhoods rely on the city's bus network. The view from the top was quite spectacular.

No comments: