Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Picton Ferry Crossing

I'm in Picton, at the northern most town of the South Island. I've dropped off my rental car and I'm taking a 3 hour ferry across to Wellington, on the southern tip of the North Island. It is cold and rainy today--guess my luck was bound to run out. Big disappointment was that the seas were too rough for me to go whale watching this morning in Kaikoura. I waited as long as I could, but the weather didn't let up, so I had to drive north to catch my ferry. On the way I saw an enormous seal colony on the rocky shore--quite impressive, as I could get within 50 feet or so of the seals. I'll post pictures later.

1 comment:

m/d said...

E - So sorry you couldn't see the whales but the view of the seal colony sounds exciting and you have done so many other fascinating things. We just logged on to see what was happening to you and lo and behold you had posted this a few minutes earlier. It is almost like talking to you in person. We'll look forward to hearing more about your experiences when we log on tomorrow. loves ya, us.